Saturday, April 15, 2006

The (Really Short) Shortbox 4/15/06

(*** I actually wrote this a couple of months ago, but never finished the rest of article due to life getting in the way, but you can chalk it up mostly to laziness. Hopefully, this will not become a regular message. - 7-21-06)

The New Avengers: Illuminati (one shot)
writer: Brian Michael Bendis
artist: Alex Maleev
Marvel Entertainment, 5/06
As part of the upcoming super-event Civil War, we've been introduced to the Illuminati -- a collection of leaders from the most important Marvel U teams made up of Iron Man, Namor, Prof. X, Mr. Fantastic, Black Bolt, and Dr. Strange. While this group has existed for years consulting eachother on many of the greatest threats to occur in Marvel's past, this is the first glimpse we've ever gotten of them. Illustrated wonderfully by Alex Maleev, I can't help but wonder if his talents are wasted on a relatively actionless tale of Bendis going into his talking heads mode. The issue is meant to give us background on this group that I assume we'll be hearing more about in the pages of Civil War, but as a stand-alone story it leaves me uninterested in the group. That's really a shame considering the members involved. I may feel differently about this issue after Civil War gets underway, but until then it may be wise to hold off from picking this one up. There's just not enough here.
6 out of 10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»