Wednesday, September 30, 2009

First Heard in September 2009 - "Yes To Aboration"



CONCEPT:

I have been listening to the same music since college, so I devised a little project that will spur me to actively pursue new jams. Each month, I will post a mix of the best songs that I heard for the first time within those 30 or so days. Won't you follow me on this journey? Thrill to the futuresounds? Mock me for being late to the party?

VOL 3.:

It's strange the trends that occur while putting these mixes together, considering the random nature of their formation. The method I chose of finding new stuff when I started this project, apart from trying to keep in step with the music press, was basically looking up my all-time favorite bands on Allmusic, assembling a list of 400 or so similar artists, filling my slsk wishlist and letting the hits pile up. But just as "life found a way" in "Jurassic Park," some higher pattern presents itself periodically amongst the cold, hard facts of download supply and demand. And in September, as the temperatures dipped and the sweaters made their way out of the mothballs, my wishlist responded in kind with a soupçon of autumnal electro and jams for the dying summer. What better way to start off the fall than the academic island rhythms of mysterious Swedes JJ?

Note: I would have also included the title track from Bibio's "Ambivalence Avenue," as it is easily one of the best songs I heard this month (and this year, for that matter). However, the only place it would have fit was at Track 1, and I didn't want to start off with a song that was already a perfect Track 1 and title track on its album of origin. For your enjoyment, I included it as a bonus track below. Anyway, there's a look at my nerdy criteria.



TRACKLISTING:

001 JJ - Masterplan
002 The Young Friends - Make Out Point
003 Akron/Family - River
004 Bachelorette - Mercurial Man
005 Rogue Wave - 10:1
006 Black Moth Super Rainbow - Twin Of Myself
007 Lindisfarne - Poor Old Ireland
008 Circulatory System - The Spinning Continuous
009 Belbury Poly - Widdershins
010 Phoenix - Countdown (Sick For The Big Sun)
011 St. Vincent - Laughing With A Mouth Of Blood
012 Jay-Z - Empire State of Mind (ft. Alicia Keys)
013 Jay Reatard - I'm Watching You
014 The Low Anthem - To Ohio (Reprise)
015 Fever Ray - Now's The Only Time I Know
016 The Postmarks - Winter Spring Summer Fall
017 The Señors of Marseille - Davey
018 Bibio - Lovers Carvings

BONUS TRACK:

This song is great, and it didn't even make the cut:
BIBIO - AMBIVALENCE AVENUE





No comments: