Wednesday, December 30, 2009

First Heard in December 2009 - "God is not impressed by what you do"



CONCEPT:

I have been listening to the same music since college, so I devised a little project that will spur me to actively pursue new jams. Each month, I will post a mix of the best songs that I heard for the first time within those 30 or so days. Won't you follow me on this journey? Thrill to the futuresounds? Mock me for being late to the party?

VOL 6.:

Wow. I've been doing this project for six months. One half of one year. That means I've been in New York for half a year. As with most of life's milestones, the feeling of accomplishment is quickly replaced by a chilling reminder of Death's inevitable embrace. It's the holiday season, so I decided to throw caution to the wind and include two of the hottest bangers from the DOOM mixtape Unexpected Guests. Why? Because Dumile is the best MC currently alive. More December highlights: Salem's "Cold Shower" brings to mind some unholy union between Supertramp and Cat Stevens, only it's incredible and not terrible like that description. Karen O managed to stop bugging me this month, and El Perro del Mar delighted me with her alternate universe Tusk B-side. CMJ buzz band Sleigh Bells captures the things that I liked about the Moldy Peaches and filters out the bullshit. Sunset Rubdown turns in a rousing millennial indie-rock song suite, and the cutest couple award goes to Bon Iver and St. Vincent for their stellar contribution to the laughably unworthy New Moon soundtrack. Anyway, for now I think I'll let this project die with '09, unless anyone passionately objects. In 2010, I resolve to move on to some other project. I'm thinking of a movie podcast that is not unstructured geek mumbling. I also resolve to take an active interest in myself as a real human being and not cripple myself with self-loathing and fear of failure. Or I'll at least try to exchange my self-loathing for the fake kind that masks arrogance and attracts women.



TRACKLISTING:

001 Animal Collective - I Think I Can
002 The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - The Tenure Itch
003 Salem - Cold Shower
004 J Dilla and Doom - Sniper Elite
005 Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM
006 Foreign Born - Early Warnings
007 Sunset Rubdown - Apollo and the Buffalo and Anna Anna Anna Oh!
008 Baby Bird - Goodnight
009 Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Hysteric
010 School of Language - Rockist Part 1
011 Babu and Doom - The Unexpected (feat. Sean Price)
012 The Mary Onettes - The Companion
013 Young Man - Playtime
014 El Perro del Mar - Change of Heart
015 Sleigh Bells - Infinity Guitars
016 Air - Sing Sang Sung
017 Bon Iver and St. Vincent - Rosyln
018 Bobby Fuller Four - Let Her Dance



No comments: